Ways to Protect your Child’s Teeth
A shout-out to all mums out there who are able to get their kids to brush their teeth twice a day! Hurray to you ladies! Here are a few more ideas that our favourite Dental Hygienist Yasmeen Ghouse suggests!
- Don’t put your toddler to bed with a bottle. This is one of the main cause of tooth decay in young kids
- As soon as teeth are present, start cleaning them with a clean damp cloth or small soft toothbrush and once they are 18 months old, you can start using low dose fluoride toothpaste
- Teeth should be brushed morning and night. Help your child to brush their teeth every day until they are around 8 years old to instil the habit for life
- Help prevent tooth decay by giving your child a balanced diet. Limit fruit juices, soft drinks and chocolates
- Lift your child’s lip once a month to look for early signs of tooth decay. White chalky lines near the gum lines could be beginning of tooth decay
- Take your child for a dental visit by the time they turn two
We have a chart for you, that you can pin up to help your child develop the habit of brushing their teeth twice a day.